Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why does it always rain on me?

The London Olympic this year reminds me of a story I heard in an episode of This American Life. Kaiser Kuo (郭怡广) is a Chinese American and former guitarist and founding member in one of the most influential Chinese rock bands, Tang Dynasty. His parents are Chinese. Although he was born in the US he moved back to China with his parents when he was a kid and lives there ever since. After the US bombing incident (of the Chinese embassy in Yugoslavia) Kuo was invited to perform in a supposedly peace concert. But it turned out to be a political rally protesting against the bombing, the country that released the bombs, and its people. Kuo was put on the spot and he was questioned by thousands of strangers in the rally and, most important of all, his band mates! Noted the band was formed in 1988 so they've known each other for over ten years then. That is when he realized he is a foreigner after all. By the way he left the band afterward. (The fun fact for me is that he has absolutely nothing to do with the bombing!)

I remembered the incident when it happened. The news media went crazy over it, when it's not covering the event it's reporting the protests from all over China. The US claimed it's a terrible accident and China, at least its people, didn't seem to buy that. When national matters happen I notice the authority suddenly would not be so strict about rallying and protesting, in fact they encourage it. When one doesn't act patriotically in crisis like this one is very likely to be accused of being a traitor! That was when the internet was yet to enter ordinary household. I imagine nowadays any opposite comments dare to show up in any forum one should prepare to be dawned by thousands if not millions of replies (mixed with fair amount of personal attacks).

Back to the Olympic game, the reason I think of the bombing incident is because my fellow citizens feel "bombed" again by the western world for all the unfair ruling to our athletes. On top of everything even the scientists do not side with us! I got couple emails from Chinese Students and Scholar Association in my school informing me, we are ready to launch a protest against Nature!

As in all other national crises I should not take side and I would not! My ONLY point in this article is: man, the comment from Lai Jiang is hell of a perfect GRE argument!! I mean it from the bottom of my heart!!

Until next time, LOVE & PEACE :D

1 comment:

  1. Awesome K, I love that episode as well, and I did have very vivid memory of participating (actually just blindly following) the protesting campaign to walk towards US embassy in Chengdu. I won't further comment on this matter, or other political-related matters. (intimidated by all the craziness therein!)

    But yeah I do have very very strong opinion about somethings. Maybe not the opinion favored by many. So maybe let's communicate sometime in private hehe.

    And that comment from Lai Jiang - EPIC! hehe. he really rocked it. Nature's apology, oh well, oh well...they should.


    'Why does it always rain on me? Was it because I lied when I was 17?'hehe

    L&P

    Z

    ReplyDelete